Helicoidal Innovation System – Critical Analysis
The National Institute for Research & Development of Informatics – ICI Bucharest,
8-10 Mareşal Averescu Blvd., 011455 Bucharest, Romania
Abstract: The intent of this article is to be a step to inform stakeholders in strategies implementation to increase the level of development of our country and, therefore, interested in the well-being of the society. It is reviewed the modern model of economic development through innovation of the triple helix, which underlies the subsequent models, the quadruple helix, in the implementation of which the author has a direct involvement, the quintuple and n-tuple helix. Critical comments on these are presented in the attempt to adapt and make them applicable to the existing conditions at present in our country. There are presented concrete examples of the implementation of the helical development system through innovation at European level. Taking into account the innovative spirit of the Romanian society, expressed by the number of creative people in our country and the number and the value internationally recognized of their innovations and inventions, some sketches are proposed for the creation of economic entities for them by using helicoidal models of innovation in the perspective of their development at the level of creative, competitive and respected national and international economic institutions. Also, opinions are presented regarding the implementation of helical innovation models in order to develop economically deficient areas and to recover or reactivate the destroyed or declining economic entities.
Keywords: Triple-helix, Quadruple-helix, Quintuple-helix, N-tuple-helix, Sustainable development, Innovation system, Applied informatics, Knowledge economy, Knowledge society.
Clarification: In order not to create confusion between the helical elements that make up the innovation systems and the name „helicoids” in the innovation systems, the word „component” for these elements was used instead of the „helicoid”.
CITE THIS PAPER AS:
Gabriela FLORESCU, Helicoidal Innovation System – Critical Analysis, Romanian Journal of Information Technology and Automatic Control, ISSN 1220-1758, vol. 28(1), pp. 47-60, 2018.
- ETZKOWITZ, H. (2008). The Triple Helix University–Industry–Government Innovation, Action8.
- ETZKOWITZ, H. & LEYDESDORFF, L. (2000). The dynamics of innovation: from National Systems and ‘‘Mode 2’’ to a Triple Helix of university–industry–government relations”, Research Policy, 29, 109-123.
- ETZKOWITZ, H. (2002). The Triple Helix of University-Industry-Government Implications for Policy and Evaluation, working paper.
- HOHMANN, L. (2016). Global Society and Integration: To what Extent Is the Triple-Helix-Model of Etzkowitz & Leydesdorff of Use for the Implementation of Smart Governance? – An Analysis Referring on Implemented Triple HelixConstellations, Glocality: Undergraduate Academic Journal, 2(1): 2, 1-9.
- RANGA, M. & ETZKOWITZ, H. (2013). Triple Helix systems: an analytical framework for innovation policy and practice, The Knowledge Society, INDUSTRY & HIGHER EDUCATION, 27(3), August 2013, 237-262, doi:
- RANGA, M. (2014). Stimulating R&D and Innovation to Address Romania’s Economic Crisis: A Bridge Too Far?, European Planning Studies, 20(9), Septembrie 2012. Revăzut de autor în Iunie 2014.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.