An Experimental Application of IoT Software Platform Type
Ştefan Alexandru PREDA, Mihnea Horia VREJOIU
National Institute for Research & Development of Informatics – ICI Bucharest,
8-10 Mareşal Averescu Blvd., 011455 Bucharest, Romania
Abstract: The term Internet of Things (IoT) has become a(n almost) common one today. The number and diversity of physical objects (devices) connected to the Internet and incorporating the technology for sensing and communicating their internal state and to interact with it and with the external environment, have increased steeply. In recent years, the need to collect and store huge amounts of data they provide in dedicated, centralized/localized or distributed (cloud) infrastructures, as well as to get value from these data through analytics techniques by using specialized services, have led to the development of many solutions for interconnecting these smart objects in systems with different scales, objectives and features. This paper presents an own experimental development and
implementation of such an IoT software platform, initially with a relatively small set of specific functionalities, as basis for potential future developments, deployments, and expansions. The architecture, components, functionalities and functional links involved are described, as well as some implementation and usage specifications for the most important of them.
Keywords: IoT platform, Cloud, Smart objects/devices, Sensors, Microcontroller, Communication protocol, REST API.
CITE THIS PAPER AS:
Ştefan Alexandru PREDA, Mihnea Horia VREJOIU, An Experimental Application of IoT Software Platform Type, Romanian Journal of Information Technology and Automatic Control, ISSN 1220-1758, vol. 28(1), pp. 5-24, 2018.
- BAHGA, A. & MADISETTI, V. (2014). Internet of Things: A Hands-On Approach.Published by Bahga & Madisetti, ISBN: 978-099605515.
- BOTTA. A., DE DONATO, W., PERSICO, V. & PESCAPÉ, A. (2016). Integration of Cloud computing and Internet of Things: A survey, Future Generation Computer Systems, 56, 684-700. Elsevier ScienceDirect.
- DAYARATHNA, M. (2016). Comparing 11 IoT Development Platforms, IoT Zone. <https://dzone.com/articles/IoT-software-platform-comparison>.
- LEHONG, H. & ALFONSO, V. (2014). Hype Cycle for the Internet of Things. Gartner Group.
- MERCER, C. (2016). Internet of things platforms: Azure, AWS, IBM Watson and more – Which is the best IoT platform for your business?, Computerworld.
- MINERAUD, J., MAZHELIS, O., SU, X. & TARKOMA, S. (2016). A gap analysis of Internet-of-Things platforms, Computer Communications. Elsevier ScienceDirect, DOI:10.1016.
- NEAGU, G., Florian, V., PREDA, Ş. & STANCIU, A. (2016). Sensing as a service approach in health monitoring. In IEEE Proc. of 15th RoEduNet Conference: Networking in Education and Research, Bucharest, Romania, Sept. 7-9 (pp.
225-229). eISSN: 2247-5443, DOI: 10.1109/RoEduNet.2016.7753240. <http://
- NEAGU, G., PREDA, Ş., STANCIU, A. & FLORIAN, V. (2017). A Cloud-IoT based sensing service for health monitoring. In IEEE Proc. of the 6th IEEE International Conference on E-Health and Bioengineering – EHB 2017, Sinaia, Romania, June 22-24 (pp. 53-56). ISBN: 978-1-5386-0358-1, DOI: 10.1109/EHB.2017.7995359. <http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/7995359/>.
- NEAGU, G., VREJOIU, M. H., PREDA, Ş. A. & STANCIU, A. (2017). Platforme IoT – Situaţia actuală şi tendinţe de evoluţie, Revista Română de Informatică şi
Automatică, 27(3), 5-18. ISSN: 1220-1758, e-ISSN: 1841-4303. <https://rria.ici.ro/art-01-vol-27-nr-3-2017/>.
- PERERA, C., ZASLAVSKY, A., CHRISTEN, P. & GEORGAKOPOULOS, D. (2014). Sensing as a service model for smart cities supported by Internet of Things, Trans. Emerg. Telecommun. Technol., 25(1), 81-93.
- PREDA, Ş. A., NEAGU, G., VREJOIU, M. H. & STANCIU, A. (2017). Evaluare şi experimentare pentru platforme „Internet of Things”, Raport de cercetare etapa 2: Dezvoltare şi experimentare platformă de referinţă „Internet of Things”, proiect PN 1609-0401, ICI Bucureşti.
- SINGH, S. (2016). Top 10 IoT Platforms, Internet of Things wiki. <http://internetofthingswiki.com/top-10-IoT-platforms/634/>.
- ***: Site-ul Web Arduino Yún <https://store.arduino.cc/arduino-yun>.
- ***: Site-ul Web Raspberry Pi <https://www.raspberrypi.org/>.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.