Biometric Methods for Secure Authentification –
A Case Study TypingDNA
Abstract: In recent years secure internet and electronic communications are key drivers to economy and society in general as we can notice an increase in the number of major cyber security incidents due to various factors. Security incidents can affect individual users, organizations, economic operators, governments and society in general. An overwhelming number of incidents are caused by leveraging weak, stolen or default passwords. This paper provides an insight on strong authentication methods such as biometric authentication methods like Keystroke Dynamics or TypingDNA. Implementation of typing biometrics has become increasingly used lately, due to the benefits of user interaction. TypingDNA is a new authentication model by recognizing the user based on a previously written text. In this way, if a password is lost the recovery will be done by recognizing the user based on of text writing mode automatically by the application, the user only having to write a provided text. Therefore, the purpose of this research is to provide stakeholders (software developers and organizations) a comparative analysis of authentication techniques with a high degree of security.
Keywords: authentication, biometric methods, Keystroke Dynamics TypingDNA, secure authentication, cyber security.
CITE THIS PAPER AS:
Antonio COHAL, Carmen ROTUNĂ, Biometric Methods for Secure Authentification – A Case Study TypingDNA, Romanian Journal of Information Technology and Automatic Control, ISSN 1220-1758, vol. 27(4), pp. 39-46, 2017.
- SHI, E.; NIU, Y.; JAKOBSSON, M.; CHOW, R.: Implicit Authetication through Learning User Behavior, Information Security. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2011, pp. 99-113.
- ROTH, J.: On Continuous User Authentication via Typing Behavior. IEEE Transactions On Image Processing, July 28, 2014.
- YAMPOLSKIY, V. R.: Action-based user authentication. Int. J. Electronic Security and Digital Forensics, Vol. 1,
- *** FTC seeks public comments on facial recognition, 2012, https://crisisboom.com/ 2012/01/10/ftc-seeks-public-comments-on-facial-recognition/
- *** Fingerprint sensors, facial recognition and biometric surveillance to propel biometrics market, http://www.donseed.com/4278-2/
- *** IBTimes, 2015, UN: Biometric iris scanners transforming Syrian refugee programme by preventing fraud, http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/un-biometric-iris-scanners-transforming-syrian-refugee-programme-by-preventing-fraud-1527362
- *** 5 Things You Should Know About the FBI’s Massive New Biometric Database, 2012, https://crisisboom.com/2012/ 01/11/fbi-biometric-database/
- *** NIST Authentication Guideline. 2016, https://pages.nist.gov/800-63-3/sp800-63-3.html#sec4
- *** Strong Authentication Best Practices, https://safenet.gemalto.com/multi-factor-authentication/strong-authentication-best-practices/
- *** Biometric authentication: what method works best?, http://www.technovelgy.com/ ct/Technology-Article.asp?ArtNum=16
- *** Understanding Digital Certificates, https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123848(v=exchg.65).aspx
- Retina scan, http://whatis.techtarget.com/ definition/retina-scan
- *** Highlights From Verizon Data Breach Report https://blogs.gartner.com/anton-chuvakin/2015/05/18/highlights-from-verizon-data-breach-report-2015/
- *** Raportarea Incidentelor Cyber în UE – ENISA, august 2012 – https://www.enisa.europa.eu/publications/ cyber-incident-reporting-in-the-eu/at_download/fullReport
- *** Verizon Data Breach Investigations Report,2017
- *** BioPassword Whitepaper, Authentication Solutions Through Keystroke Dynamics, 11 pag.
- SWARNA BAJAJ; SUMEET KAUR: Typing Speed Analysis of Human for Password Protection (Based On Keystrokes Dynamics), International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering (IJITEE), ISSN: 2278-3075, Volume-3, Issue-2, July 2013.
- PIN SHEN TEH, ANDREW BENG JIN TEOH AND SHIGANG YUE: A Survey of Keystroke Dynamics Biometrics, The ScientificWorld Journal, Volume 2013, Article ID 408280, 24 pages.
- SHANMUGAPRIYA, G. PADMAVATHI: A Survey of Biometric keystroke Dynamics: Approaches, Security and Challenges. (IJCSIS) International Journal of Computer Science and Information Security, Vol. 5, No. 1, 2009.
- ARWA ALSULTAN; KEVIN WARWICK: Keystroke Dynamics Authentication: A Survey of Free-text Methods. IJCSI International Journal of Computer Science Issues, Vol. 10, Issue 4, No 1, July 2013, ISSN (Print): 1694-0814 | ISSN (Online): 1694-0784
- MARGIT ANTAL*; LÁSZLÓ ZSOLT SZABÓ; IZABELLA LÁSZLÓ: Keystroke Dynamics on Android Platform. 8th International Conference Interdisciplinarity in Engineering, INTER-ENG 2014, 9-10 October 2014, Târgu Mureş, România.
- *** https://typingdna.com/
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.