The Role of Social Influence in Facebook Adoption: Testing an Extended Technology Acceptance Model
National Institute for Research & Development in Informatics – ICI Bucharest
Abstract: One of the greatest chalenges for the researchers in the information technology (IT) field, in particulary in the information systems (IS) and human-computer interaction (HCI) area, is understanding the predictors that determine users to adopt and accept new technologies. The popularity of social networks among students led to an increased interest in studying the use of these technologies from the educational point of view. The present study aims to analyze the effect of social influence on the intention to use Facebook and to test and validate the technology acceptance model. The model was tested on a sample of 758 students from the Romanian universities, using the Structural Equation Modelling (SEM). The results confirm the importance of social influence on the intention to use Facebok through the direct effect of normative social influence, and also through the indirect effect of informational social influence exercised through perceived utility, perceived ease of use and perceived enjoyment.
Keywords: TAM, perceived usefulness, perceived ease of use, perceived enjoyment, social influence, continued intention of use, social networks, Facebook.
- BAGOZZI, R. P.; LEE, K. H.: Multiple routes for social influence: the role of compliance, internalization, and social identity. Social Psychology Quarterly 65, (3), 2002, pp. 226–247.
- BAGOZZI, R.; EDWARDS, J.: A general approach for representing constructs in organizational research. Organizational Research Methods, 1(1), 1998, pp. 45-87.
- BALOG, A.; CRISTESCU, I.: Teorii şi modele ale acceptării noilor tehnologii. Revista Română de Interacţiune Om-Calculator, 2(2), 2009, pp. 147-160.
- BALOG, AL.; PRIBEANU, C.: A multidimensional model of the Facebook usefulness for students . Revista Româna de Interactiune Om-Calculator 8(2), 2015, pp. 157-172.
- BALOG, AL., PRIBEANU, C.: Testing the technology acceptance model with Romanian university students. Iftene, A., Vanderdonckt, J. (eds.) of RoCHI 2016, Iasi, 8-9 September, 2016, pp. 81-85.
- CHANG, C. C.; HUNG, S. W.; CHENG, M.J.: Exploring the intention to continue using social networking sites: The case of Facebook. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 95, 2014, pp. 48-56.
- DAVIS, F. D.: Perceived usefulness, perceived ease of use, and user acceptance of information technology. MIS Quarterly, 13 (3), 1989, pp. 319-340.
- DAVIS, F. D.; BAGOZZI, R. P.; WARSHAW, P. R.: Extrinsic and intrinsic motivation to use computers in the workplace. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 22 (14), 1992, pp. 1111-1132.
- DAVIS, F. D.; BAGOZZI, R. P.; WARSHAW, P. R.:User acceptance of computer technology: A comparison of two theoretical models, Management Science, 35 (8), 1989, pp. 982-1003.
- DHOLAKIA, U. M.; BAGOZZI, R. P.; PEARO, L. K.: A social influence model of consumer participation in network and small group based virtual communities. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 21, 2004, pp. 241–263.
CITE THIS PAPER AS:
Irina CRISTESCU, The Role of Social Influence in Facebook Adoption: Testing an Extended Technology Acceptance Model, Romanian Journal of Information Technology and Automatic Control, ISSN 1220-1758, vol. 27(3), pp. 37-46, 2017.
- FORNELL, C.; LARCKER, D. F.: Evaluating structural equations models with unobservable variables and measurement error. Journal of Marketing Research, 18 (1), 1981, pp. 39-50.
- HAIR, J. F.; BLACK, W. C.; BABIN, B. J.; ANDERSON, R.: Multivariate Data Analysis. 6th Ed., Prentice Hall, 2006.
- HART, J.; RIDLEY, C.; TAHER, F.; SAS, C.; DIX, A.: Exploring the Facebook experience: a new approach to usability. Proceedings of the 5th Nordic conference on Human-computer interaction –NordiCHI 2008, ACM, 2008, pp. 471-474.
- HEIJDEN, H. VAN DER: User acceptance of hedonic information systems. MIS Quarterly, 28 (4), 2004, pp. 695-704.
- IORDACHE, D. D.; BALOG, AL.; PRIBEANU, C.; LAMANAUSKAS, V.: A motivational model for the acceptance of Facebook by university students (2015). Dardala, M., Rebedea T.E. (Eds.) Proceedings of RoCHI 2015 Conference, Bucharest, 24-25 September, 2015,
- JUNGLAS, I.; GOEL, L.; ABRAHAM, C; IVES, B.: The social component of information systems – How sociability contributes to technology acceptance. Journal of the AIS, 14(10), 2013,
- LAMANAUSKAS, V.; IORDACHE, D. D., PRIBEANU, C.: Exploring the relationship between social influence and addiction in facebook use: a comparative study. The 16th International Conference on Informatics in Economy (IE 2017). The Proceedings of IE 2017 International Conference. Bucharest, Romania, 04 – 07 May, 2017
- LIN, K. Y.; LU, H. P.: Why people use social networking sites: An empirical study integrating network externalities and motivation theory. Computers in Human Behavior, 27(3), 2011, pp. 1152-1161
- LORD, K. R.; LEE, M. S.; CHOONG, P.:Differences in Normative and Informational Social Influence. Advances in Consumer Research, 28, 2001,
- LORENZ, G. V.; BUHTZ, K.: Social influence in technology adoption research: a literature review and research agenda. In Proceedings of the 25th European Conf. Info. Systems (ECIS), 2017, pp. 2331-2351
- PARK, N.; KEE, K. F.; VALENZUELA, S.: Being immersed in social networking environment: Facebook groups, uses and gratifications, and social outcomes. CyberPsychology & Behavior, 12(6), 2009, pp. 729-733.
- PRIBEANU, C.; LAMANAUSKAS, V.: Usefulness of Facebook for students: analysis of university profile differences from a multidimensional perspective. Proceedings of eLSE 2016, Vol. II, Bucharest, 21-22 April, 2016, pp. 557-564 .
- SELWYN, N.: FACEWORKING: exploring students’ education-related use of Facebook. Learning, Media and Technology, 34(2), 2009, pp. 157-174.
- SLEDGIANOWSKI, D.; KULVIWAT, S.: Social neworking sites: Antecedents of user adoption and usage. Proceedings on AMCIS 2008, paper 83, 2008, pp. 1-11.
- VENKATESH, V.; DAVIS, F. D.: A theoretical extension of the technology acceptance model: four longitudinal field studies. Management Science, 45 (2), 2000, pp. 186-204.
- YOUSAFZAI, S. Y.; FOXALL, G. R.; PALLISTER, J. G.: Technology acceptance: a meta-analysis of the TAM. Journal of Modelling and Management, 2(3), pp. 251-280 (Part 1), 2007281-304 (Part 2).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.