IoT Platforms – Current Solutions and Evolution Trends
Mihnea Horia VREJOIU
Ştefan Alexandru PREDA
National Institute for Research & Development in Informatics – ICI Bucharest
Abstract: The Internet of Things (IoT) became one of the defining paradigms of today’s world, element of revolutionary, quantitative and qualitative transformation of our cognition and interaction with the environment in which we are living and working day by day. In recent years, many solutions to interconnect intelligent objects in systems with various scales and objectives have been developed. We are already talking about smart cities, smart homes, digital health, various industrial processes or environment polution monitoring etc. This paper presents a review and an analysis of the existing offer of IoT platforms, as well as evolution trends in their field. Several relevant IoT solutions have been studied, selected on the basis of reports and reviews published in specialized literature or on web sites of some specialized consulting companies or publications. Comparative evaluation criteria for IoT hardware and software platforms have been identified and selected. Also, some trends and perspectives on the short and medium term evolution of IoT platforms have been analyzed and are presented, both in the context of the developments of specific technologies and under the pressure of the requirements of the IoT ecosystems communities.
Keywords: IoT ecosystem, IoT platform, IoT marketplace, cloud, PaaS, SaaS, communication protocol, REST API, data confidentiality and security.
- LEHONG, H.; ALFONSO, V.: Hype Cycle for the Internet of Things”, Gartner Group, 21.07.2014.
- PERERA, C.; ZASLAVSKY, A.; CHRISTEN, P.; GEORGAKOPOULOS, D.: Sensing as a service model for smart cities supported by Internet of Things. Trans. Emerg. Telecommun. Technol., vol. 25, no. 1, 2014, pp. 81-93.
- BAHGA, A.; MADISETTI, V.: Internet of Things: A Hands-On Approach. Published by Bahga & Madisetti, ISBN: 978-099605515.
- E.C.S.: “Strategia Naţională de Cercetare-Inovare 2014-2020 – versiunea tehnică”. Ministerul Educaţiei şi Cercetării Ştiinţifice, februarie 2014.(http://www.cdi2020.ro/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/STRATEGIA_Versiunea-tehnica_Februarie-2014.pdf).
CITE THIS PAPER AS:
Gabriel NEAGU, Mihnea Horia VREJOIU, Ştefan Alexandru PREDA, Alexandru STANCIU, IoT Platforms – Current Solutions and Evolution Trends, Romanian Journal of Information Technology and Automatic Control, ISSN 1220-1758, vol. 27(3), pp. 5-18, 2017.
- . European Commission: Horizon 2020 – Work Programme 2016–2017, (5.i) Information and Communication Technologies. European Commission Decision C (2015) 6776 of 13 October 2015.
- SINGH, S.: Top 10 IoT Platforms. Internet of Things wiki, 08.03.2016.
- MERCER, C.: Internet of things platforms: Azure, AWS, IBM Watson and more – Which is the best IoT platform for your business? Computerworld, 28.02.2016.
- ; DE DONATO, W.; PERSICO, V.; PESCAPÉ, A.: Integration of Cloud computing and Internet of Things: A survey. Future Generation Computer Systems 56, 2016, Elsevier ScienceDirect, pp. 684–700.
- MINERAUD, J.; MAZHELIS, O.; SU, X.; TARKOMA, S.: A gap analysis of Internet-of-Things platforms. Computer Communications, 2016, Elsevier ScienceDirect, DOI:10.1016.
- TARKOMA, S.; AILISTO, H.: The Internet of Things program: the Finnish perspective”. IEEE Commun. Mag. 51 (3) 2013, pp. 10–11, DOI: 10.1109/MCOM. 2013.6476854 (http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6476854/).
- DAYARATHNA, M.: Comparing 11 IoT Development Platforms. IoT Zone, 04.02.2016.
- VAN DER MEULEN, R.; WOODS, V.: Gartner Identifies the Top 10 Internet of Things Technologies for 2017 and 2018. Garner Research. 23.02.2016.
- LEWIS, G.; ECHEVERRIA, S.; SIMANTA, S.; BRADSHAW, B.; ROOT, J.: Tactical cloudlets: moving cloud computing to the edge. Proceedings of the IEEE Military Communications Conference (MILCOM), 2014, pp. 1440–1446, doi: 10.1109/ MILCOM.2014.238.
- LEA, R.; BLACKSTOCK, M.: CityHub: a cloud based IoT platform for smart cities. Proceedings of the IEEE 6th International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science (CloudCom), 2014, pp. 799–804, doi: 10.1109/ CloudCom.2014.65.
- PREDA, Ş. A.; NEAGU, G.; STANCIU, A.; VREJOIU, M. H.; HĂRŢESCU, F.; FLORIAN, V.; ZAMFIR, M. C.: Evaluare şi experimentare pentru platforme „Internet of Things”. Raport de cercetare etapa 1: Cercetări privind platformele dedicate „Internet of Things”, proiect PN 1609-0401, ICI Bucureşti, decembrie 2016.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.