A Study of Insulin Delivery Systems
Nisar Ahmed Yasir Saleem Muhammad Khawar Bashir Faisal Hayat
Department of C&SE, University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore, Pakistan.
Department of Electrical Engineering, National University of Sciences and Technology, Pakistan.
Abstract: Insulin delivery to diabetic patient using manual methods is a tedious job and requires significant efforts clinically. It doesn’t ensure optimal performance and causes noncompliance to the prescribed drug and results in several medical complications. The insulin delivery system, often called as artificial pancreas, is a portable insulin delivery pump used to control blood glucose concentrations. An insulin pump is design and developed to deliver insulin in precise and accurate amount to the diabetic patient, in order to regulate the blood glucose concentrations. In this paper, theoretical analysis has been performed to regulate the blood glucose-insulin concentration on the basis of some mathematical models. These models includes an open loop control of insulin delivery, based on mathematical model of insulin curve and closed loop control based on modified Stolwijk and Hardy’s dynamic model. These models are implemented and analyzed using MATLAB. Moreover some experiments have been carried out and the results are analyzed based on medical parameters. This paper elaborates the insulin delivery mechanism and developments which are discussed will enhance the quality of life of the diabetic.
Keywords: Biological system modeling, artificial biological organs, artificial pancreas, drug delivery system, insulin, glucose control.
- Dua, Pinky; Doyle, Francis J. III; Pistikopoulos, Efstratios N.: Model-Based Blood Glucose Control for Type-1 Diabetes via Parametric Programming. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 53, no. 8, august 2006.
- Albisserand, A. M.; Spencer, W. J.: Electronics and the Diabetic. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. BME-29, no. 4, April 1982, pp. 239-248.
- Report of the National Commission on Diabetes to the Congress of the United States, U.S. Dep. Health, Educ., Welfare, Public Health Service, Nat. Inst. of Health, DHEW Pub. No. (NIH) 76-101-8.
- V. Doran, J.G. Chase, G.M. Shaw, K.T. Moorhead, and N.H. Hudson:” Derivative weighted active insulin control modeling and clinical trials for ICU patients”, Medical Engineering & Physics 26(10) (2004) 855-866.
- Group, Diabetes Control and Complications Research: “The effect of intensive treatment of diabetes on the development and progression of long-term complications in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus“, New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 329, pp. 977-986.
- Teddy,S. D. C.; Quek, E. M.-K. Lai; Cinar, A.: PSECMAC Intelligent Insulin Schedule for Diabetic Blood Glucose Management Under Nonmeal Announcement. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, Vol. 21, No. 3, Mar. 2010.
- Dikondwar, SmitaR: Design and Development of Insulin Delivery System Prototype. Department of Instrumentation and Control, College of Engineering Pune, Shivaji Nagar Pune, India.
- Medical Guidance for Diabetes Model And Practices: Consultant in Endocrinology, Pune &TypeI patient model.
- Ahmed, Jameel; Alvi, Bilal A.; Khan,Zeeshan A.: Blood Glucose-Insulin Regulation and Management System Using MATLAB/SIMULINK. 2008 International Conference on Emerging Technologies, IEEE-ICET 2008 Rawalpindi, Pakistan, 18-19 October, 2008.
- Jacobs, Peter G.; El Youssef, Joseph; Castle, Jessica R.; Engle, Julia M.; Deborah L.: Development Of a Fully Automated Closed Loop Artificial Pancreas Control System With Dual Pump Delivery of Insulin and Glucagon. 33rd Annual International Conference of the IEEE EMBS, Boston, Massachusetts USA, August 30 – September 3, 2011, pp. 397-400.
- Cahill, G. F.; Etzwiler, Jr., D. D.; Freinkel,: Control and diabetes. New Eng. J. Med., vol. 294, 1976, pp. 1004-1005.
- Siperstein, M. D.; Foster, D. W.; Knowles, H. C.; Levine, Jr., R.; Madison, L. L.; Roth, J.: Control of blood glucose and diabetic vascular disease. New Eng. J. Med., vol. 296, 1977, pp. 1060- 1063.
- Spencer, W. J.: A Review of Programmed Insulin Delivery Systems. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. BME-28, no. 3, March 1981, pp. 237-251.
- Hovorka, R.: Continuous Glucose Monitoring and Closed Loop Systems. Diabetic Med 2006; 23: 1-12.
- Steil, G.M.; Rebrin, K.: Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery – What Lies Between Where We are and Where We are Going? Expert Opin Drug Deliv. 2005; 2: 353-62.
- Shalitin, S.; Phillip, M.: Closing the Loop: Combining Insulin Pumps and Glucose Sensors in Children With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. Pediatr Diabetes 2006; 7: Suppl 4: 45-9.
- Renard, E.: Costalat, G.; Chevassus, H. et al.: Artificial Betacell: Clinical Experience Toward an Implantable Closed Loop Insulin Delivery System. Diabetes Metab 2006; 32: 497-502.
- Hovorka, R.; Wilinska, M.E.; Chassin, L.J. et al.: Roadmap to the Artificial Pancreas. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2006; 74: Suppl 2: S178-S182.
- Castle, J. R.; Engle, J. M.; El Youssef, J.; Massoud, R. G.; Yuen, K. C.; Kagan, R.; Ward, W.K.: Novel Use of Glucagon in a Closed Loop System For Prevention of Hypoglycemia in Type 1 Diabetes. Diabetes Care, Vol. 33, No. 6, pp. 1282-1287, March 2010.
- El-Khatib, F. H.; Russell, S. J.; Nathan, D. M.; Sutherlin, R. G.; Damiano, E. R.: A Bi-Hormonal Closed-Loop Artificial Pancreas for Type 1 Diabetes. Sci Transl Med., Vol. 2, No. 27, April 2010.
- El-Khatib, F. H.; Jiang, J.; Damiano, R.: Adaptive Closed-Loop Control Provides Blood-Glucose Regulation Using Dual Subcutaneous Insulin and Glucagon Infusion in Diabetic Swine. J. Diabetes Sci. Technol, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 181-92.
- Shahian, Steffani; Savant, Hostetter: Design of Feedback Control Systems. 4th Edition, Printed by OXFORD University Press.
- Bellazzi1, Riccardo; Nucci, Gianluca; Cobelli, Claudio: The Subcutaneous Route to Insulin-Dependent Diabetes Therapy – Closed-Loop and Partially Closed-Loop Control Strategies for Insulin Delivery and Measuring Glucose Concentration. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology, Jan/Feb 2001, pp. 54-61.
- Trajanoski, Zlatko; Wach, Paul: Neural Predictive Controller for Insulin Delivery Using the Subcutaneous Route. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 45, 1998, pp. 1122-1134.
- Chen, Jiming; Kejie Cao; You Xian Sun; Yang Xiao; Xu (Kevin) Su: Continuous Drug Infusion for Diabetes Therapy: A Closed-Loop Control System Design. Received 15 July 2007; Revised 25 November 2007; Accepted 5 December 2007.
- Khoo MCK: “Physiological Control Systems”, no. 124-129; 1999 IEEE Press, pp. 55-58.
- Chbat, Nicolas W.; Roy,Tuhin K.: Glycemic Control in Critically Ill Patients – Effect of Delay in Insulin Administration. Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology 27th Annual Conference Shanghai, China, September 1-4, 2005,