Research and Innovation through the ProInova Patent Management System
Technical University of Cluj-Napoca, Computer Science Department, Cluj-Napoca, Româniaa
Technical University of Cluj-Napoca, TCM Department, Cluj-Napoca, Româniaa
Abstract: The results and ultimately the success of innovation and research activities are highly dependent on a well-founded documentation process and inherently on the availability and the use of quality information sources. As argued in this paper, patents have a great potential as such valuable information source, with the condition that their availability and use is enabled and promoted by an efficient patent management system. While there are several official patent databases offering online access to patent documents, there is a considerable lack of patent managing services and an integrated repository system to incorporate these services. This paper presents the model for a patent repository and describes its collection of services that address specific patent processing tasks. As such, the repository addresses the issue of patent availability through patent harvesting, and assists its users in the process of information retrieval through services like patent processing, patent searching and report generation.
Keywords: patent repository; document harvesting; information retrieval; semantic search; document classification; innovation.
- GROSSMAN, D. A.; FRIEDER, O.: Information Retrieval: Algorithms and Heuristics. The Information Retrieval Series.
- SALTON, G.; WONG, A.; YANG, C. S.: A vector space model for automatic indexing.
- FUHR, N.: Probabilistic Models in Information Retrieval.
- DEERWESTER, S; DUMAIS, S.; FURNAS, G.; HARSHMAN, R.; LANDAUER, TH.; LOCHBAUM, K.; STREETER, L.: Computer information retrieval using latent semantic structure, 1988 (US Patent 4,839,853).
- HEUSCH, CH.: Contributions regarding the processing of the structure and content of patents and development of special system and program, with application for gears. PhD thesis.
- LEONARD, D.; SENSIPER, S.: Divergence and convergence in thinking – „The Role of Tacit Knowledge in Group Innovation”, 1998.
- PATENTSCOPE® WIPO’s Gateway to Patent Services and Activities, http://www.wipo.int/patentscope/en/
- International Patent Classification (IPC)
- European Patent Classification (ECLA)
- World Intellectual Property Organization, http://www.wipo.int
- United States Patent and Trademark Office, http://www.uspto.gov/
- European Patent Office, http://www.epo.org/
- Open Patent Services (OPS), http://www.epo.org/patents/patent-information/free/open-patent-services.html
- CQL: Common Query Language, Version 1.1, http://www.loc.gov/standards/sru/sru1-1archive/cql.html
- European publication server, https://data.epo.org/publication-server/
- European publication server Web service
- Apache Lucene, http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.