Modeling and Simulation, in Open Source – Scilab,
of the Treatment Process for the SO2 Flue Gas
Delia Mihaela Rădulescu
National Institute for Research & Development, ICI Bucharest
Abstract: This paper presents the modeling and simulation of the actual process of treating the flue gas SO2 resulting from the burning of waste in an experimental incinerator. The physical process is modeled using the Bohart Adams model. The resulting model is programmed and simulated using the open source software Scilab. Scilab provides a powerful computing environment for scientific applications. Scilab emulates MATLAB language, with additional extensions and a graphical interface (GUI) portable Linux and Windows. We present some simulation results of the physical structure consisting of the SO2 concentration variation in the gas phase, the concentration variation of SO2 in the solid phase and the concentration variation of SO2 at the outlet of the ceramic filter.
Keywords: modeling, simulation, model Bohart – Adams, Open Source Scilab, flue gas.
- CHU, K. H.: Fixed bed sorption: Setting the record straight on the Bohart-Adams and Thomas models. Journal of Hazardous Materials, Volume 177, Issues 1-3, 2010, 1006-1012.
- LE GLEAU, F.; CAILLAT, S. PEDRIX; E., GASNOT; L., GAMBIER, D.; PAUWELS, J-F.: Comparative study of flue gas dry desulphurisation and SCR systems in an industrial hazardous waste incinerator. Proceedings of the Third International Symposium on Energy from Biomass and Waste, Venice, Italy; 8-11 November 2010.
- RĂDULESCU, D. M.: Modelling of the flow in porous media with heterogeneous gas/solid reactions, Dissertation thesis in Master of Science in Environmental Management, ECOLE DES MINES DE DOUAI, 2011, Coordinators: Dr. Sébastien Caillat, Dr. Esperanza Perdrix, Prof. Dr. Ing. Gheorghe Lăzăroiu, Phd. Student Florent Le Gleau.
- RUTHVEN, D.M.: Principles of Adsorption and Adsorption Processes, Wiley, New York, 1984.
- World Commission on Environment and Development (WCED), 1987. Our common future (The Brundtland Report). Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK/http://www.un-documents.net/our-common-future.pdf
- WU, C.; KHANG, S-J.; KEENER, T. C.; LEE, S. K.: A model for dry bicarbonate duct injection flue gas desulfurization. Advances in Environmental Research, Volume 8, Issues 3-4, March 2004.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.