THE NOBEL PRIZE FOR PHYSICS, 2016
National Institute for Research & Development in Informatics, ICI Bucharest
Abstract: Three British scientists have won the Nobel prize in physics for their work on exotic states of matter that may pave the way for quantum computers and other revolutionary technologies. The researchers were credited for their theoretical work on “topological phase transitions and topological phases of matter”. Together, their discoveries transformed how scientists think about materials. They have used advanced mathematical methods to study unusual phases, or states, of matter, such as superconductors, superfluids or thin magnetic films. This paper is a short prezentation of the topological concepts used for the topological materials that could be used in new generations of electronics and superconductors, or in future quantum computers.
Keywords: KT transition, quantum Hall effect, Chern insulator, topological band theory.
- TONG, D.: The Quantum Hall Effect, http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qhe/qhe.pdf;
- THOULESS, D. J.; Mahito Kohmoto; Nightingale, M. P.; Den Nijs, : Quantized Hall conductance in a two-dimensional periodic potential. Physical Review Letters, 49(6):405, 1982;
- NIU, QIAN; THOULESS, D. J.; YONG-SHI WU: Quantized Hall conductance as a topological invariant, Physical Review B, 31(6):3372, 1985;
- HALDANE, D. M.: Model for a Quantum Hall Effect without Landau Levels: Condensed-Matter Realization of the “Parity Anomaly”, Physical Review Letters, 61(18):2015, 1988;
- CUI-ZU CHANG; JINSONG ZHANG; XIAO FENG; JIE SHEN; ZUOCHENG ZHANG; MINGHUA GUO; KANG LI; YUNBO OU; PANG WEI; LI-LI WANGet AL: Experimental observation of the quantum anomalous Hall effect in a magnetic topological insulator, Science, 340(6129):167, 2013;
- HENRIK JELDTOFT JENSEN: The Kosterlitz-Thouless Transition, Department of Mathamtics, Imperial College, http://www.mit.edu/~levitov/8.334/notes/XYnotes1.pdf;
- KOSTERLITZ, J. M.; Thouless, D. J.: Ordering, metastability and phase transitions in two- dimensional systems,Journal of Physics C: Solid State Physics,6(7): 1181–1203, 1973;
- HALL, E. H.: Amer, J. Math. 2, 287 (1879);
- VON KLITZING, K.; DORDA, G.; PEPPER, M.: PHYS. REV. LETT, 45(6), pp. 494-497, 1980.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.