Paradigmatic, Technological and Economic Characteristics of HPC, Grid, HSC, Cloud and Volunteer Computing – Delimiters and Determinants of Volunteer Cloud Computing
National Institute for Research and Development in Informatics – ICI Bucharest
Abstract: This paper presents characteristics, of various natures, specific for the types of computing technologies mentioned. Are described, at a general level, defining aspects of these technologies and are highlighted the differences between them. Description reveals the evolution of the development of the technologies and the inter-relations between them. Presenting these features, it also aims clarifing certain aspects that could create confusion, especially due to the different possible uses of these technologies, this being the main reason of the intention for launching this action after the end of the project regarding the development of the Grid site in ICI Bucharest, now realized step. The paper describes the issue virtualization, focusing on volunteer computing, this being a crucial aspect of the evolving of this computing technology towards Volunteer Cloud.
Keywords: HPC, Grid, HSC, Cloud, Volunteer Computing, Volunteer Cloud, virtualisation.
- ANDERSON, D.; NOV, O.; ARAZY, O.: Volunteer Computing: A Model of the Factors Determining Contribution to Community-based Scientific Research. International World Wide Web Conference, 2010.
- ANDERSON, D. P.: Volunteer Computing Vs Cloud Vs Grid Vs HPC. http://www.volunteer-computing.org/EN/.
- ANJOMSHOA, M.; SALLEH, M.: Overview on Clouds@home: Virtualization Mechanism for Volunteer Computing. International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing Systems (PDCS), 2014.
- ANJOMSHOA, M.; SALLEH, M.; KERMANI, M. P.: The Cost of Virtualization Implementation in Volunteer Computing. International Conference on Computer, Communications, and Control Technology (I4CT). 2014
- ANJOMSHOA, M.; SALLEH, M.; KERMANI, M. P.: A Taxonomy and Survey of Distributed Computing Systems. Journal of Applied Sciences, 2015.
- BIAS, R.: Grid, Cloud, HPC… What’s the Diff? http://cloudscaling.com/blog/cloud-computing/. 2010
- DISTEFANO, S.; CUNSOLO, V. D.; PULIAFITO, A.: A Taxonomic Specification of Cloud@Home. Advanced Intelligent Computing Theories and Applications, With Aspects of Artificial Intelligence, 2010.
- DORNEANU, D.: Volunteer Computing at CERN – Sustainability Model Proposal. CERN Openlab, 2011.
- FOSTER, I.; KESSELMAN, C.; TUECKE, S.: The Anatomy of the Grid: Enabling Scalable Virtual Organizations. International Journal of High Performance Computing Applications, 15(3), 2001.
- HAFEEZ, M.; ASGHAR, S.; MALIK, U. A.; REHMAN, A.; RIAZ, N.: Message Passing Framework for Globally Interconnected Clusters. Journal of Physics: Conference Series 331, 2011.
- MELL, P.; GRANCE, T.: The NIST Definition of Cloud Computing. National Institute of Standards and Technology, Information technology laboratory, 2009.
- MUNTEAN, T.: Parallel Operating System Architecture for Message Passing Parallel Computers. OSF’93, 1993.
- RITEAU, P.: An Overview of Virtualization Technologies. University of Rennes 1, 2011.
- SHENG, D.; KONDO, D.; CIRNE, W.: Characterization and Comparison of Cloud versus Grid Workloads. IEEE International Conference on Cluster Computing (CLUSTER), 2012
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.