A New Digital Age
Presidential Executive Office
Abstract: The collapse of the Twins Tournament in the fateful day of September 11, 2001 is the turning point that changed traditional perception of risks, vulnerabilities and threats to the national, regional and international security. The development of information and communication technology meant the entry of the humanity into a new era – the digital age that has completely eliminated the traditional barriers imposed by time and space. In the framework of the emergence of the digital age, cyber security incidents generated by state or non-state actors, intentional or accidental, have multiplied and could seriously affect the functioning of critical and strategic infrastructure of the state or the international community. Currently, cyber security is a major concern especially for policy makers who began to focus their efforts on the development and implementation of coherent policies in the field, both to protect the public interests and those of the private sector. This paper describes the main challenges facing the information society and the types of cyber threats: cyber war, cyber terrorism, cyber scum – attacks against individuals. At the end of the paper, I proposed several recommendations concerning protection and combating the cyber threats to national security: development of a unified cyber security standards, nationally efficient intranet management of state institutions, reorganization of the main institutions in the filed of cyber security for a coordination and coherence and efficiency in the fight against cyber threats and, last but not least, the development of the component of cybersecurity within security culture.
Keywords: digital age, cyber threats, cyber warfare, security culture.
- Ameninţări cibernetice la adresa utilizatorilor din România, raport realizat de Bitdefender în cadrul campaniei de conștientizare a riscurilor de securitate cibernetică derulată în România de către CERT-RO.
- Centrul Naţional de Răspuns la Incidente de Securitate Cibernetică, Raport cu privire la alertele de securitate cibernetică primite de CERT-RO în primele 6 luni ale anului 2013.
- ENISA Threat Landscape 2013, ediţie online.
- Revista NATO – Noi ameninţări dimensiunea cibernetică, ediţie online.
- Strategia de securitate cibernetică a României, 2013.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.