Global and National Cyber Threats
Presidential Executive Office
Abstract: This paper aims to summarize the main risks, vulnerabilities and threats to national and international security posed by cyber weapons. Currently, military and intelligence analysts consider cyberspace as the fifth most important area in which a war can be generated and developed. If the second half of the twentieth century brought to the fore the threat of use of nuclear weapons, the first half of the XXI century is dominated by the concern to prevent and combat cyber threats. Unlike nuclear threat, cyber attacks can not always be discouraged by a counter-attack simply because it is difficult to identify the state or non-state actor provoked. Cyber threats to national and international security have drawn public attention recently. Cyber attacks executed, most likely, the Russian Federation on Estonia in 2007 and Georgia in 2008 have caused reassessment of military doctrines of NATO member states, bringing cybersecurity into attention of policymakers. As NATO and EU member state, Romania has not been spared by cyber attacks. On the contrary, the largest cyber attack on our country – Red October – was recorded in 2013. By adopting The Cyber Security Strategy and the establishment of some operational centers, Romania will play an important rol in preventing and combating incidents of cyber infrastructures. Therefore, our country is valued by our strategic partners as one of the major player in the fight against cyber warfare.
Keywords: national security, global security, cyber space, cyber threats.
- Ameninţări cibernetice la adresa utilizatorilor din România. Raport realizat de Bitdefender în cadrul campaniei de conştientizare a riscurilor de securitate cibernetică derulată în România de către CERT-RO.
- Centrul Naţional de Răspuns la Incidente de Securitate Cibernetică. Raport cu privire la alertele de securitate cibernetică primite de CERT-RO în primele 6 luni ale anului 2013.
- ENISA Threat Landscape 2013, ediţie online.
- Revista NATO – Noi ameninţări dimensiunea cibernetică, ediţie online.
- Strategia de securitate cibernetică a României, 2013.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.