Fundamental Approaches Regarding the Virtual Enterprise Agility
National Institute for Research and Development in Informatics – ICI Bucharest
Abstract: The concept of virtual enterprise has appeared as result of the market trends, the development of IT&C technologies and the ampleness of e-business phenomenon. This paper presents the concept of virtual enterprise, its constituent elements and characteristics.
There are several approaches regarding the ability of virtual enterprises to adapt and respond to changes. The paper also presents some approaches, being defined especially the term of virtual enterprise agility. Also, the conceptual framework of enterprise agility is presented by identifying its main aspects.
Some approaches regarding the agility measuring are described, being detailed the framework based on the fuzzy logic which consists of four structures of enterprise agility: production, market, people and information.
Key words: virtual enterprise, agility, agile enterprise, flexibility.
- INCEU, V.: Concepte privind sistemele informaţionale şi sistemele informatice ale organizaţiilor economice, http://biblioteca.regielive.ro/cursuri/economie/sisteme-informatice-economice-calculatoare-172549.html, 2010.
- SHEREHIY, B.; KARWOWSKI, W.; LAYER, J. K.: A Review of Enterprise Agility: Concepts, Frameworks, and Attributes. Department of Industrial Engineering, Center for Industrial Ergonomics, University of Louisville, Lutz Hall, Room 445, Louisville, Kentucky 40292, USA, 2007.
- BURNS, T.; STALKER, G. M.: The Management of Innovation. Tavistock Publications, London, UK, 1961.
- HAGE, J.; AIKEN, M.: Routine Technology, Social Structure and Organizational Goals. Administrative Science Quarterly 14, 1969, pp. 366–376.
- HAGE, J.; DEWAR, R.: Elite Values Versus Organizational Structure in Predictinng Innovation. Administrative Science Quarterly 18, 1973, pp. 279–290.
- REED, K.; BLUNSDON, B.: Organizational Flexibility in Australia. International Journal of Human Resource Management 9 (3), 1998, pp. 457–477.
- GUNASEKARAN, A.: Agile Manufacturing: A Framework for Research and Development. International Journal of Production Economics 62, 1999, pp. 87–105.
- KIDD, P. T.: Agile Manufacturing: Forging New Frontiers. Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 1994.
- YUSUF, Y.; SARHADI, M.; GUNASEKARAN, A.: Agile Manufacturing: The Drivers, Concepts and Attributes. International Journal of Production Economics 62 (1–2), 1999, pp. 33–43.
- GOLDMAN, S. L.; NAGEL, R. N.; PREISS, K.: Agile Competitors and Virtual Organizations: Strategies for Enriching the Customer. Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1995.
- SHARIFI, H.; ZHANG, Z.: Agile Manufacturing in Practice – Application of a Methodology. International Journal of Operations and Production Management 21 (5–6), 2001, pp. 772–794.
- GORANSON, H. T.: The Agile Virtual Enterprise: Cases, Metrics, Tools, 1992.
- GORANSON, H. T.: The Agile Virtual Enterprise, 1999.
- TSOURVELOUDIS, N. C.; VALAVANIS, K. P.: On the Measurement of Enterprise Agility. Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems 33 (3), 2002, pp. 329–342.
- REN, J.; YUSUF, Y. Y.; BURNS, N. D.: A Prototype of Measurement System for Agile Enterprise. In: International Conference on Quality, Reliability, and Maintenance. Oxford, UK, 2000, pp. 247–252.
- LIN, C.-T.; CHIU, H.; CHU, P.-Y.: Agility Index in the Supply Chain. International Journal of Production Economics 100 (2), 2006, pp. 285–299.
- TSOURVELOUDIS, N. C.; VALAVANIS, K. P.: On The Measurement of Enterprise Agility. Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems 33 (3), 2002, pp. 329–342.