The Educational Value of a Chemistry
Learning Application – Preliminary
Results from a Pilot Study
National Instititute for Research and Development in Informatics – ICI Bucharest
Abstract: Educational systems based on augmented reality are able to integrate real objects in a computing environment and create a multimodal interaction space which is both familiar and attractive to students. This paper presents an approach that is based on the development of a formative measurement model to the evaluation of the educational value of a Chemistry learning scenario. The preliminary results from a pilot study show that the application helps to understand the chemical structure of the atom, helps to understand the periodic table and facilitates an active involvement of the learner in the learning process.
Keywords: e-learning, educational value, augmented reality, formative measurement model.
- Anderson, J. C.; Gerbing, D. W.: Structural Equation Modelling in Practice: A Review and Recommended Two-Step Approach. Psychological Bulletin 103 (3), 1988, pp. 411-423.
- Arbuckle, J. L.: AMOS 16.0 User’s Guide. Amos Development Corporation, 2007.
- Balog, A.; Pribeanu, C: The Role of Perceived Enjoyment in the Students’ Acceptance of an AR Teaching Platform: A Structural Equation Modeling Approach, Studies in Informatics and Control, 19(3), 2010, pp. 319-330.
- Brom, C.; Preuss, M.; Klement, D.: Are Educational Computer Micro-games Engaging and Effective for Knowledge Acquisition at High-schools? A Quasi-experimental Study. Computers & Education 57, 2011, pp. 1971-1988.
- Davis, F. D.: Perceived Usefulness, Perceived Ease of Use, and User Acceptance of Information Technology. MIS Quarterly 13, no. 3, 1989, pp.319-339.
- Diamantopoulos, A.; Winklhofer, H.:Index Construction with Formative Indicators: An Alternative to Scale Development. Journal of Marketing Research 28, 2001,
- Diamantopoulos, A.; Riefler, P.; Roth, K.: Advancing Formative Measurement Models. Journal of Business Research 61, 2008, pp. 1203-1218.
- Edwards, J.; Bagozzi, R.:On the Nature and Direction of Relationship Between Constructs and Measures. Psycological Methods 5(2), 2000, pp. 155-174.
- Franke, G.; Preacher, K.; Rigdon, E.:Proportional Structural Effects of Formative Indicators. Journal of Business Research 61, 2008, pp. 1229-1237.
- Hair, J. F.; Black, W. C.; Babin, B. J.; Anderson, R. E.; Tatham, R. L.:Multivariate Data Analysis. 6th, Prentice Hall, 2006.
- Hamza-Lup, F.; Murrel, E.; LaPlant, J.; Baird, W.; Popovici, D.M.: Simulator vizualo-tactil (Visuo-Haptic) pentru reprezentarea cenceptelor de frecare statică şi dinamică. Revista Română de Interacţiune Om-Calculator 3(1), 2010, pp. 1-16.
- Iordache, D. D.; Pribeanu, C.: Comparison of Quantitative and Qualitative Data from a Formative Usability Evaluation of an Augmented Reality Learning Scenario. Informatica Economică Journal, 13(3), 2009, pp. 67-74.
- Iordache, D. D.; Pribeanu, C.; Balog, A.: Influence of Specific AR Capabilities on the Learning Effectiveness and Efficiency. Studies in Informatics and Control, 21(3), 2012,
- Jarvis, C. B.; Mackezie, S.; Podsakoff, M.: A Critical Review of Construct Indicators and Measurement Models Misspecification in Marketing and Consumer Research. Journal of Consumer Research 30, 2003, pp. 199-218.
- Lamanauskas, V.; Pribeanu, C.; Vilkonis, R.; Balog, A.; Iordache, D.D.; Klangauskas, A.: Evaluating the Educational Value and Usability of an Augmented Reality Platform for School Environments: Some Preliminary Results. Proc. WSEAS/IASME 2007 Mathematics and Computers in Science and Engineering, 2007, pp. 86-91.
- Lee, E.A-L.; Wong K.W.; Fung C.C.: How Does Desktop Virtual Reality Enhance Learning Outcomes? A Structural Equation Modeling Approach. Computers & Education 55(4), 2010, pp. 1424-1442.
- Pribeanu, C.; Balog, A.; Iordache, D. D.: Formative User-centered Usability Evaluation of an Augmented Reality Educational System. Proceedings of ICSOFT 2008 – The third International Conference on Software and Data Technologies, Porto 5-8 July, INSTICC, pp. 65-72.
- Pribeanu, C.; Iordache, D. D.: Evaluating the Motivational Value of an Augmented Reality System for Learning Chemistry. Holzinger, A. (Ed.) Proceedings of USAB 2008. LNCS 5298 Springer, 2008, pp. 31-42.
- Vos, N.; Meijden, H.; Denessen, E.: Constructing Versus Playing an Educational Game on Student Motivation and Deep Learning Strategy Used. Computers & Education 56, 2011, pp. 126-137.
- Wind, J.; Riege, K.; Bogen, M.: Spinnstube®: A Seated Augmented Reality Display System, Proceedings of IPT-EGVE – EG/ACM Symposium, 2007, pp. 17-23.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.